[ProgressiveEd] Getting ready for the Chancellor's meeting

Massey Sidney H (04M155) [email protected]
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:29:49 -0500

Dear one and all,
What's to be done?  Here's my thinking.
- I've been reading everyone's e-mails, but frankly it's not rocket science.
- Bruce has to get a fix on what Mr. Klein feels is a reasonably-sized delegation, trying to push to boundary a bit if necessary.  My sense is around 6-10 folks is effective.
- Of course the group will be inclusive, that's what we value.
- It should respect, ethnicity, race, language, parent, staff, age, history/experience
- it should pre-meet or have a virtual conference inorder to be prepared.
- I feel the rally should go on as a way of keeping the issue public and the public active.  We should make this an opportunity to rally, leaflet and deliver petitions, books, student work, family letters, etc.
- All of our work has made this meeting possible.
- Last Tuesday's public meeting showed the face of the small schools in a public way.  We should underestimate the effect the turnout and the tenor of parent speakers had on Mr. Klein.
- I received thoughtful responses from him since Tuesday.  I asked that he trust us, that he adopt the stance, "What can I do for your communities, how can I help."  He replied that he too valued the importance of building "comminites of trust".  I wrote back asking why he begged the question, advising him never to trust those who quote test scores (e.g. Bush in Texas) and also suggesting that a course of action that includes establishing progressive, small school networks within the regions, headed up by like-minded instructinal leaders would benefit us, our regional sup't and HIS REFORM efforts by providing him the opportunity to expand the lens thru which he assessed and held school accountable.  Furthermore such a formation would increse the amount of 'successful' school within a year.  His reply acknowledged that he need to widen his lens.  On the issue of trust he admitted that he had sidfestepped the issue but that based on the "thoughful" way that I raised issues, he expressed that didn't see why he shouldn't extend us his trust.   He asked to keep up the flow of ideas.
- So he is an e-mail man.  Folks should continue to write focusing on the three 'bulleted' goals of PENNY - SCHOOL STATUS - NETWORKS - APPROPRIATE INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP.
- We will need to decide quickly who will represent us at the meeting.  If is is soon and Ii the rally is a go, perhaps the steering committee can meet afterwards.  If we have time then a Steering Committee meeting time at Ann's place (of course) should be set and announced a.s.a.p.  allowing folks to weigh in on suggestions for the delegation or to come to the meeting.
Keep on chatting.
Sid Massey
River East
	-----Original Message----- 
	From: Beverly McClain [mailto:[email protected]] 
	Sent: Fri 3/21/2003 3:19 PM 
	To: Donna Nevel; [email protected]; Melah Gindi 
	Cc: [email protected]; [email protected] 
	Subject: Re: [ProgressiveEd] Our communications with Mr. Klein/what to donext
	I'm not suggesting that anyone be excluded from the meeting, we're only
	saying we want our (Latina) director, Maria Velez-Clarke and our PTA
	president there, because we believe they would be excellent choices for
	advancing everyone's cause. Maria has been in the progressive ed trenches
	for many many years, as Bruce will attest, and has already started to get to
	know Mr. Klein now. Judy is a first-rate PTA president presiding over one of
	the most active PTA's in NYC...a big factor in why Mr. Klein bothered to
	come to our school at all. Beyond that, I do believe that the collective
	group should make decisions about who goes, and as for size, you do have a
	good point...certainly we need enough key people to show our diversity and
	to represent us all properly, though how many that is, and how many he's
	willing to see at once is obviously not for me (or maybe even PENNY) to say.
	In all fairness, there are reasons WHY our school got through to Mr. Klein:
	We were EXTREMELY organized, involved and vocal, and have spent endless
	hours of our own time as well as taking time off from work in an effort to
	get his attention. There was absolutely no privilege or "access" as you
	imply. Only lots of hard work. But since we have an ongoing dialogue and our
	school is now one he is beginning to get to know, we believe Maria and Judy
	would be appropriate choices and should be included along with the other
	people PENNY chooses to send.
	Also, I'm not saying we don't march at all, I'm just suggesting that it
	makes more sense to see what becomes of the meeting, or hopefully more than
	one, and then decide. If PENNY does decide to head down to TWEED on
	Wednesday, we wish you the best. But I'm not sure what CWS will do. No one
	at our PTA meeting last night was comfortable with that scenario, at least
	given the way things stand now, Maria included. And if we put it off even by
	just a few days, it may free up more parents to go to Albany on Tuesday. But
	I do understand what you and Melah are saying too...it's hard to know for
	sure what would work best.
	Beverly (CWS parent)
	PS: Melah, I agree with you on Diana Lam. Haven't heard good things and
	didn't get a good vibe either last Tuesday night. Gut feelings aren't always
	right, but I do have one here that's undeniable. The memo on grant
	preapproval didn't help my opinion much either.
	ProgressiveEd mailing list
	[email protected]